My mom and I bought this (not sure what to even call this piece of furniture) at a garage sale before I moved into TC '45 (my college apartment.) My favorite thing about this piece of furniture was the "old-timey" Coke brand bottle opener attached to the top right corner. This piece of furniture served as a TV stand at my college apartment, at mine and Trey's townhouse, and for a few months at our current house. After we purchased a new TV stand, this piece of furniture moved up into our bonus room and has collected dust and Little R's toys for months. Trey has tried to get me to part with it many times, but I have just not been able to. Now that Little R is acquiring more stuff, we are trying to organize our bonus room in order to make room to store some of his toys and such as the bonus room will become his playroom as well as the office. This piece of furniture is not in the bonus room plan. So, I had to decide. As Trey pointed out every single, tiny flaw that this piece of furniture has, I realized that it really isn't very nice. The top is bent in the middle from years of placing a TV on top of the "not so sturdy" pressed wood piece. The bottom is chewed around the side from Chip's teething days. There are some other things, too. So, I finally caved, and Trey hauled off this beloved piece of furniture to Goodwill as fast as he could before I could change my mind. My only regret is that I didn't remove the bottle opener before giving it away. I didn't think of it until after it was already gone. I sure hope that this piece of furniture brings someone else as much joy and as many memories at it has brought me. Goodbye, my old friend!!!!
"HE is before all things, and in HIM all things hold together." Colossians 1:17
Monday, April 11, 2011
Saying Goodbye
I finally gave in. I finally said goodbye. Trey hooped, hollered, and hoorayed while I sat with a grumpy face. Trey kept reminding me: "Christina, it is piece of junk." "Christina, it isn't even real wood." "Babe, the top is so warped and Chip has chewed on the bottom of it." "Christina, I promise you that you are not going to want to display this somewhere if we ever move again." He was right, but I still did not want to part with this beloved piece of furniture. The picture actually makes it look pretty good compared to how it looks in real life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment